NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Management Accountant Reports to: Commercial Director
Salary – £40,000 to £45,000
Job purpose: To provide the management accounting services to the business, ensuring that the financial control processes that are in place are fulfilled with focus on cash inflow/outflow, reporting, and risk mitigation. To provide financial analysis for forecasting, budgeting, cost reduction analysis, and reviewing operational performance. In addition to provide support to the Sales & Operations teams, including accurate information analysis (e.g. actual performance vs. budget and prior year etc.), preparation of operational data/analysis for publication throughout the company.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
1. Leading the accounting function including the day to day management of the accounts team.
2. Preparation of monthly management accounts & report; year-end financial statements (including commentaries); and forecast cash flow positions.
3. Manage audit processes and all statutory reporting, including the annual Companies House filings.
4. Interpret the company’s financial results to the management team and recommend improvement activities to help mitigate risk.
5. Controlling income, cash flow and expenditure
6. Manage the preparation of the company’s annual budget
7. Reporting on variances from the established budget, and the understanding/implications of those variances.
8. Identify, investigate, and analyse potential operational improvement. As appropriate, based on findings make proposals for operational changes (policy, procedures, processes, etc.)
9. Compile key business metrics and report on them to management
10. Manage the capital budgeting process, based on constraint analysis and discounted cash flow analysis
11. Handle contract renewals for, and day to day requirements of, commercial insurance, credit insurance, private medical, death in service and utilities.
12. Manage credit control process ensuring requirements of credit insurance policy are adhered to, and carrying out routine accounting functions such as payroll, AP payment runs, bank reconciliations, journal posting, & daily on line banking.
13. Review customer terms and conditions for areas of operational risk and advise sales team accordingly.
14. Support the ongoing Filemaker (ERP system) development plan
15. Ad Hoc analysis of financial data as required, and attendance at Board meetings.
Scope and territory indicators:
Office based with monthly attendance at our Sheffield office, and the occasional attendance at UK based customer premises to support the commercial management of the business.
Key Relationships & Interfaces:
The Management Accountant will interface with the following:
• Executive Directors
• Chairman & Non-Executive Director
• Management team
• Accounts & administration team • External stakeholders (bank, insurers, and IT provider)
Person Specification Personal Qualities:
• Strong and resilient personality, able to operate at both board and management levels.
• Have a flare for accounting, and works well with a diverse range of people/personalities.
• Proactive work attitude including willingness to work some longer hours during peak periods.
• Strong experience in interpretation of financial results, and reporting/recommending improvement activities to help mitigate risk.
• Advanced Microsoft Excel skills, ability to work with lookups and pivot tables.
• Experience with ERP business systems, Sage 200 and Sage payroll systems will be desirable.
• Strong organisational, analytical and interpersonal skills.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Commercially minded & self-motivated, eager to learn new concepts and participate in new activities.
CIMA qualified, preferably with 5+ years experience in a similar position within a manufacturing.